Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LinkSys DSL/Cable Router Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker838

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2001
US
hey all, ok here is the problem:

one of my friends has a cable modem and their ISP is comcast@home. they have the BEFSR41 router and it just will not connect to the net. without the router everything works fine, but once you try to get behind it, nothing happens....
here are the fields in the administration webmin and what i have tried:

--------------------

host name: [name of computer provided by comcast]
domain name: [@HOME]

obtain ip automatically

-------------------

thats basically what i had set and it didnt work. i tried putting in the cable modem's IP (which is not static) and it was a nogo. tried leaving the host/domain names blank; still nothing. tried disabling DHCP and manually setting an internal IP (192.168.1.XXX), tried enabling it, still nothing. the cpu pulls an IP from the router when it is enabled. also tried renaming the work-group and cpu name to something else when i had what comcast provided in the host/domain name in the 'min'.

i dont know what else to try, dare i say i am at wits end...aye....any help would be gladly appreciated... thanks in advance... "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

Hi;

Sounds like the router does not have the DNS server addresses. You say everything is fine without the router.
Disconnect the router and connect to your ISP. Open a DOS command window and enter IPCONFIG /ALL This will display all the info you should need.

Make a note of all the DNS server addresses. Reconnect the router and enter the DNS addresses in the router setup screen.

Hope this helps

Ed
Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

ok thanks, but i still would "obtain ip automatically" correct? ...as a note i prob will not get to try it for a bit, the setup is not at my house, was for a friend... "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

i have the same setup in my house,my domain name is workgroup and this works for me..
i also have comcast as a provider

hope this helps

thanks...ok lets see if i can get this right:

- Host Name = cpu name from comcast
- Domain Name = @home
- Obtain IP Automatically
- Plug in DNS
- Plug in Gateway maybe?
- Anything else?

thanks for the replies, just wanna get this thing going :) "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

That sounds about right. I have a similar setup with Comcast. I don't have a gateway specified and I didn't need to specify the DNS addresses. If you can't get the router to pull the DNS servers from the ISP you might try powering down the router and the modem. Power up the modem first then the router. This will force the router to pull new IP information from the modem.

ok thanks, i will give that a shot. "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

Shocker,

I own that same exact router. The manual specifies that usually you don't need to enter a Host or Domain name, unless your ISP (Comcast) requires it. Also, from first glance, I don't think @Home is going to work anyway. You usually want the full domain path which looks like a URL (atHome.Comcast.Com for example only, not necessarily right).

The Subnet Mask, Default Gateway Address, and DNS IP Address should all be left blank (or the default) if you have "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" selected. The manual clarifies that your ISP usually sets these values when your on a Dynamic IP Address.

If worst comes to worst, contact Comcast and ask about these settings. You DO NOT have to mention that you're configuring a router. They'll throw you off the phone in a heartbeat if you do! Just mention you are trying to configure the TCP/IP adapter for your network card in Win98. The same fields are all listed in the properties of this adapter. Your router should be configured the same way.

I suggest starting all over. Power off the Cable/DSL modem and PC. Then on the router, hold the reset button in until you see the Diag LED light up and turn off. This will take everything back to the defaults on the router. Power back on the Cable/DSL modem, wait for it to completely initialize, then power the PC on. Continue to set up the router...

ok, thanks for the reply, i will give that a shot ...heh setting the router up for cable has turned out to be more headache than setting up mine for DSL... i will give your instructions a shot, thanks! "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

call linksys technical suport, they keep track of all isp's and what settings work best under each individual isp. When i bought my linksys i called them for the same problems your having, and within 5 minutes of dialing the number I had the router online :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back