Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFW11S4v4 - WEP Encryption Incompatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

imflood

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
US
I have three laptop computers (2xToshiba & 1xSony) all using internal mini-PCI WiFi cards attempting to access a BEFW11S4 version 4 router connected through a Surfboard cable modem in a home network. I also have a wireless PPS1UW print-server operating on the network. As long as I have WEP disabled, everything works fine. All the computers can share files and access the printer.

As soon as I enable WEP (64-bit or 128-bit)on the computers, router, and print-server, the print-server is instantly not accessible. The computers can access the internet but will eventually, one-by-one, lose the network connection and be unable to reconnect. Sometime the connections last hours, sometimes minutes. The only way to get it back it to shutdown the computers and reset the router. Then all three will connect again upon restarting but shortly start the sequence again.

I am running XP Pro on one of the computers and XP home on the other two. I do NOT have IEEE 802.1x selected on the Authentication tab, I have tried both 64- and 128-bit WEP, and I do not have Hotfix Q815485 installed. I have spent hours with Technical Support without luck. Anybody with any suggestions or solutions would instantly be raised to hero status in my eyes and would have my unending gratitude. Right now, I am stuck between no security without WEP enabled or no network/internet capability. Not great choices...

Many, many thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back