Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 VPN Error 678

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCraw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
My setup consists of a W2K Server with 2 NICs behind a BEFSR41 router with firmware 1.42.7. I can connect to my VPN directly when I address the NIC local address that is setup to connect the VPN (10.10.10.11), but when I disconnect my LAN, connect to the internet through my modem and address the VPN by its public address (42.123.45.1) I get 'error 678 The remote computer did not respond in a reasonable amount of time'. The router has the following settings: SPI - off, Block WAN - on, multicast - on, IPSec - on, PPTP - on, MTU - off. Then I FORWARD ports 1 - 2000, both UDP & TCP to address 10.10.10.11. I know this is overkill, but I just wanted it to work. My W98 client is set to connect to a PPP Server (as I said before, it worked locally). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

Is this a VPN router? I'm not too familiar with router configs, but i could look it up on Linksys' site.

No, it is not the new VPN router, but from everything I have read in this site it is capable of supporting a VPN connection. It is the BEFSR41 with the newest firmware installed (version 1.42.7).

okay cool, so it's like my router (i forget the version number).
To keep it simple, first turn off IPSec (we'll try to turn it on later).
Is the Block WAN referring to block WAN configuration or block WAN requests? If block WAN requests, turn that off.

Forward just 1723 (tcp and udp) to your VPN server.

What external IP address is your router and what IP is your modem using to connect to the internet?
-Micky

Isn't the IP address that the modem is using and the router IP address the same? I have a cable modem that is setup with dynamic ip addresses. I went into the router config and check the ip it acquired. That is the IP I am using as my external address (42.123.45.1)

Thanks for you help.
Joe

Isn't the IP address that the modem is using and the router IP address the same? I have a cable modem that is setup with dynamic ip addresses. I went into the router config and check the ip it acquired. That is the IP I am using as my external address (42.123.45.1)

Thanks for you help.
Joe

I found out my problem. I used the external address as my gateway on the VPN NIC. I should have been using the internal address for my router. I hope this helps someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back