Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 ver2 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordynn

Technical User
Dec 25, 2002
US
All,
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 ver2 4-Port router with the following setup:

DSL Modem
|
| <-- Straight-through cable
|
Router (WAN Port)
Router (LAN Port)
| |
| |---------- Computer
|
| <-- Straight-through cable
|
3Com Superstack II (Hub)
| |
| |-----Computer
|
Computer

I'm not sure where the problem is related so I'm hitting this forum and the 3Com forum also.

The problem is when I connect the cable from the router to the 3Com hub I get no light indicator and of course no signal either. I've used a straight-through & cross-over cable plugged into the UpLink and regular ports in case I was missing something there also. I have tested all cables, connections, etc. individually but can't for the life of me figure out the problem. I have also replaced the hub with other brands, etc. to no avail. If I pull out the hub and use just a straight-through in a regular port then I can hit everything fine so it has something to do with the connection between the two devices.

Is there a setting I'm missing in the router? It's all basically default settings. I'm not used to the home-networking routers. I'm a Cisco man by trade, but this is for a friend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Use the uplink on the router, to a regular port on the hub with a straight thru cable. Do not use port 1 of the router.

I was a little too quick to hit 'Submit'

I wanted to add that only 'uplink' or lan port 1 of the router can be used at 1 time. They are the same connection point, just different wiring.

Smah,
Thank you SO much!! That did the trick. I had the first PC on port 1. I moved it to port 2 and used the uplink port with a straight-through going back to the hub and saw traffic immediately! What a great site this is. Thank you again. Merry X-mas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back