Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LinkSys BEFSR41 Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocker838

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2001
US
Hello, someone i know just got thier LinkSys DSL/Cable Router (BEFSR41). Their ISP is Comcast @Home (cable) and cannot seem to get the computer to connect through the router. When you disconnect the router and hook up the config as usual, it works fine, but there is juts no net activity going through the router. all the connections seem fine...gets a link light for the computer and the cable modem, but for the computer port on the router there is no Full/Col light, and i think theri NIC is 10 mbps.

once in the router config, like the webmin page, we set the IP address, gateway, dns, and its still no go. thye do not have a static IP, but even if the setting is on "obtain automatically" there is still no web.

the computer is pulling DHCP from the router, so i dont really know what could be the trouble...and help would be great. Thanks in advance. "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

I have the exact set-up, and I recall having to disable DHCP. Try that.

Also, give me the exact set up you have on the linksys webpage. Ya know, the one where you go and to set up your router confiuration.

Mark

You need to be sure you've set the computer name and domain (supplied by Comcast) in the router's setup. Once your computer is behind the router Comcast can't see it. It can only see the router. The router then uses NAT to translate.

If the computer name doesn't solve it, make sure you also turn the pc off, then the cable/DSL modem off then back on. After the modem is back online, turn the pc back on. Do this after you have configured the router. Do not turn off the router during the time you reset the modem.

ok, thank you for the replies, i will give it a shot this weekend, and hopefully get it going, thanks again :) "Less work more network" (HP) -- its so catchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back