Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 cannot connect to cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

secular

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
CA
I am using ROGERS high speed internet ( .

I am attempting to install a Linksys BEFSR41 router to share the internet connection between more than one computer. The internet connection works fine with just the modem and the pc alone.

However, when i connect the PC to the router and the modem to the WAN port of the router, the router being configured to obtain automatically dns / ip information from the router (as being instructed by the rogers tech support) , it does not seem to be obtaining anything whatsoever and i cannot connect to the internet ( i can connect to the router fine).

After factory resetting, releasing, renewing , rebooting , refreshing, reconfiguring , and everything in between, i am completely out of ideas (having also browsed most of the topics on this forum and found nothing of help), i would greatly appreciate any input / help i can possibly get.

Thanks!

I cannot speak for Rogers, but my cable company fixated on the MAC address of my computer. Had had to 'clone' the mac address of the computer's ethernet port to the router, then the cable company was not confused.

I do not have a PC handy, but in a DOS Prompt window type IPCONFIG /all and it should list the MAC address, it will look something like 12:34:56:89:0A:BC I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Sorry, but how do i clone my mac address in my router?

i know how to enter the mac address as the wan clone, but the mac address of the actual router stays different.

Would i be able to change the mac address of my actual NIC card? if so (within windows2000) , how would i be able to do this?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back