Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR41 and VPN Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 that has a public IP with port 1723 forwarded to my VPN server. Block WAN request is disabled. The VPN is PPTP, Linksys Tech Support was not impressive to say the least. They are convinced I need to forward 4 ports for the OS, which sounds very fishy to me. The server is set up correctly, I have tested it from the LAN, outside traffic is not being forwarded to the server.
Anyone have experience getting this to work? Maybe the Linksys does not support GRE?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
[alien]

Matt,

I was always under the impression that the linksys could not foward GRE packets. But I have read cases where people claimed they have gotten it to work. I remember one guy saying he just fowarded Port 47 and Port 1723. I really don't see how that could work. I'm sure you could just use the DMZ feature of the router, but that leaves your server a bit exposed. Also, somthing else you will probably want to make sure is enabled is PPTP Pass-though.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Your first sentence was what I was thinking, but didn't want to say out loud.[smile] I thought it would support GRE, with so many VPN's out there nowadays, but I'm thinking not...
Thanks! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
[alien]

download the newest drivers/firmware for your router, they always rewrite it. i have downloaded at least 8 different updates for the same exact router, runs great although i have yet to try setting up a VPN. hmmm, maybe i will try it and get back to you. you can get to the firmware page from within your routers setup browser. be careful to follow ALL directions as stated and all will work out fine.

Thanks ShadowWolf, but alas I had already upgraded the firmware. I have already returned the router for one that will recognize GRE packets... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back