Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys BEFSR11 - Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have the EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR11 ver 2 and I have a problem with it.

My problem is having a slow connection to the Internet when using BEFSR11. After installing and configuring BEFSR11 as described in the user manual, the speed of connection decreases dramatically. The same Internet sites accessed with and without BEFSR11 are downloaded at very different speeds (much slower with the router).

My LAN has the following components:

8 port Switch OvisLink FSH8R (10/100 Mbps)
Network cables cat. 5
3 PCs with Windows XP Professional and Realtek RTL8139 compatible network adapters (10/100 Mbps)
Modem: Alcatel SpeedTouch 350i
Internet access provided by Telepac (from Portugal), ADSL

Computer's configuration:

IP adress: 192.168.0.10 / 20 /30 (I have my 3 PCs with static IP addresses)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS server: 194.65.14.27 (provided by ISP)
Alternate DNS server: 194.65.3.20 (provided by ISP)

BEFSR11 "Setup" configuration:

Firmware version: 1.42.7
Host Name: (not used)
Domain Name: (not used)
LAN IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Wan Connection Type: PPPoE
User Name: (provided by my ISP)
Password: (provided by my ISP)
Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time: 5 min

I upgraded the firmware (to version 1.43) trying to solve the problem, but the situation is the same. I also tried the reset button but without success.

I also tried to connect 1 pc to the Router without the switch and I have the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Did you enable any of the extra Security Options, such as ZoneAlarm? That'll slow ya down for sure! I USED to be a fan of ZoneAlarmPro, but since they upgraded from major version 2 to 3, performance SUCKS BIG TIME.

Do you use a Braodband connection or DSL? Do you use a static or DHCP assigned IP address? These may play factors in how your ISP treats you.

Do you have QoS installed, configured and in use on your XP boxes? You may be filtering your IP traffic twice.

How long is the cable from the computer to the router, try forcing the LAN card of your computer to 10 mbps.

try to get the exact MTU settings from your ISP and enable that one on your linksys web based interface..that would help a lot...
me

ruth[ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back