Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linksys and xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsigh

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
have a linksys befsr41 version 2. tried hooking up at a friends house.he is running xp home edition. I can get main unit that is next to router to work fine.when i hook up to cat 5 wire going to 2 other pc's get can't connect to web.
now hear is the weird part if i plug 1 of other
pcs directly into rear of router with 5 foot patch cord it works fine. now trying to think logically i wonder if the other wires i ran were damaged when i installed them or i put rj 45 plugs on wrong so i take a 60 foot piece of wire
put ends on it still wont work now i know the cables are good as i have cat 5 tester .it gets better i take router to my house and hook up by the way i am running 98 second edition and it works fine no distance issue CAN ANYBODY SUGGEST
ANYTHING as i am stumped

Disable the built in firewall in XP.
There are lots of known issues with the firewall and a router in combination. The firewall won't allow the router to assign an IP using DHCP to the machine, so disable it, and the router should work fine, assign each computer on the LAN an IP, and away you go.
Do a small search at MS for lots more on this. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back