Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys 4-port cable router causes pc to freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBrian

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have 2 computers connected through a linksys router. The computer seems to randomly freeze when doing anything network related...internet, copy files from one to the other, etc........Both machines are running win98. Any ideas?

Check for new driver software for you lan adapter. It would not be out of the question to purchase a new adapter for the affected computer. You should be able to find an acceptable one for < $US 10.

You could also check to see if you card is running at FULL DUPLEX, half duplex will cause lag, and will make any transfers very slow.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

How do I determine if it is running at half-duplex? If so, would that cause it to freeze or just run slowly?

So slow it would appear to freeze. Go to the properties in device manager and look under the advanced tab, you should find a reference there to the speed.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Is your affected NIC a USB device by any chance?

I had a case where any adjacent wiring near a Linksys USB NIC would cause the PC to freeze after several minutes. Such electrical interference was verified by placing the NIC on a frontal USB connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back