Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking workbook cells over a network in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

altaratz

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US
I'm wondering if it's possible to link workbook cells from one Excel doc. to another over a network dynamically?

IE - A1 on Computer 1 is linked to A1 on Computer 2 and updates dynamically when changed.

Firstly - how would one go about this?

Secondly - what would be the time loss in doing so (i.e. the time lost to transmission and updating of the info?)

Thanks for any good ideas.

Ethan Altaratz

Hi,

It depends on the Drive Mapping on each individual PC. If you have Computer 2 mapped to drive G and mine is mapped to drive Z, then TILT!

Otherwise, if the mapping is consistent and the server is running, you can link and use across users.

Skip,
[sub]
[red]Be advised:[/red] [glasses]
Alcohol and Calculus do not mix!
If you drink, don't derive! [tongue][/sub]

Skip.

TILT like it.

altaratz

I do this all the time and it's just a case of pointing one cell to another
Do take into account the TILT though

Regards, Phil

"Then I’d say what’s the point of having rank if you can’t pull it?"

(DCI Jack Meadows)

thanks for the respnoses - any articles you know showing examples of the necessary paths, etc.

Ethan Altaratz

The way I do it is

Book1 Cell A1 type = then got to Book 2 cell A1 and click on this cell
The cell in Book1 is then linked to Book2

Note: You will get $ around your equasion if you want to drag the formula to include more cells remove them or it won'r work

Regards, Phil

"If in doubt, hit it with an end user!

Just open both files,
[tt]
=
[/tt]
in the cell that will contain the link and then using the Window menu item, select the other workbook/sheet/cell and hit [Enter]

Skip,
[sub]
[red]Be advised:[/red] [glasses]
Alcohol and Calculus do not mix!
If you drink, don't derive! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back