Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking with Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthmpsn1

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I have a table in my SQL 7.0 Server that I want to link directly to my Windows Active Directory. So if I add a domain user the information needed for the table is automatically added. Can someone help me with this?

Scott

I think you need to clarify your question.

I believe that you are saying that you would to add a row or rows into a SQL Server table or tables whenever a new user is added into the Active Directory. The row or rows will contain information from the AD entry for that user.

I'm not 100% sure if there is a mechanism in AD that allows a custom action based on an update similar to a trigger in a RDBMS. My feeling is that there isn't.

However, unless you need a real time update, that is probably not a problem.

There are other ways of getting to this information in the AD. My first suggestion would be to leave the data in the AD and use the ADSI OLEDB Provider and connect to the AD directly inside of your application.

You can use the same provider and update the SQL Server database at prescribed intervals from AD. I haven't tried it but you might be able to do this inside of DTS.

Hopefully I have given you enough of a hint to know where to start, but if you need more assistance, let us know.

How do you connect to your AD in a .net application? I am using an ASP.NET application?

It is the same as any other ADO connection. I don't have enough information about what you are doing to give further guidance but I think that this ought to be enough.

Look in the .Net documentatation and search on OLEDB and ADSI. There are examples on accomplishing this connection in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back