Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking vs Importing Access Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOS

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
Help! Help!

I have an access application that runs on the network server. I also have a copy of the application that resides on my local drive (c) or (d). The local application creates make-tables. (?) Is it better for me to link the
tables, or import the tables to the application that resides on the network. Inaddition to that, the application on the network drive runs extremely slow. Why is that? What would be a better way to do this? I need lots of help on this one, thanks.

The answer to your first question depends on who else needs to see the Make-table results. Generally, you'd just keep them local. (I'm assuming that other users may also be using the application with their own front ends.) Unless other users will need the data thats in the new tables, there's no benefit to moving them, and you actually would take a performance hit.

As for the application running slowly, there could be myriad reasons. First, I'd try to sit at the machine the files are hosted on and see what the performance seems to be. If it is slow there, then you can rule out network bottlenecks, and try to figure out what the problem is on the server - too many processes, not enough memory, not tuned, etc etc.

Also, are you loading Access itself from YOUR computer and then grabbing the file from the network, or are you actually running a 'network' copy of Access - this can be a real slowdown too.

If the app runs snappy on the network server PC, then it's a data transfer problem - too much data being moved back and forth. Access is a FILE server when it comes to this, so if you open a 100K-record table and run a query that returns 50 records, the entire 100K table is moved to your PC for the evaluation. This traffic could be a cause of application sluggishness.

There are dozens of threads floating around on this issue as well - some research will probably point to other issues and resolutions.

Remember, you're unique - just like everyone else
You're invited to visit another free Access forum:
or my site,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back