Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking two remote Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2001
GB
My company has two offices in different locations and I have been tasked to install a network in both locations, each with their own server and then to connect the two offices so that the users from each office can see the data on the other offices server.

I also have to allow for remote users to log into any of the two servers.

I believe that Windows 2003 can do this using Clustering, but I'm not sure how this works or how it is implemented.

Would I use a Router and a VPN to link the two offices together.

I would really appreciate some help with this problem.

Steveh24

You don't need to use clustering. You need to set up a VPN connection between the two offices, probably easiest to use Windows' in-built solution which is RRAS (routing and remote access), you could use dedicated VPN/firewalling boxes instead (which would be more secure but more difficult to set-up).

Thanks Nick

Is RRAS part of both Windows 2000 & 2003 Server and does it offer any security, if so which is better, 2000 or 2003

Steve

However you are going to have to put in routers in each office and even basic ones support site-site and client-site VPN nowadays.

Personally I'd look at that rather than RRAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back