Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking two PBX's

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandemoya

Technical User
Nov 18, 2000
JP
Need to move about 100 users to a new building temporarily, I don't want to buy a new G-3, but I may be able to use an existing Definity within the building, what would I need to link them. Also I heard it may be possible to expand my current pbx with some kind of unit which only holds digital/analog port cards interconnecting the two with a T-1. Would I need new trunks, could I use my current extension range or have to change it? As you can see, I'm not a voice dude, but I'd appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks!!!

One high-end solution is to install an Expansion Port Network (EPN) in the remote office. Interconnection choice depends on distance between offices and call volume. EPN is same technology used to expand PBX for more ports; these connect to Processor Port Network (PPN) via expansion cards, in star topology. Remote node is electrically & functionally part&parcel of home PBX; UDP, features, Audix, existing trunks, extension range, etc. PPN provides switching fabric & overall control. Leased T-1 interconnect only good for less than 75 miles; other physical layer options include fiber. I think PEC code 63335A is the expansion interface card; comes in variety of physical layer flavors, and maybe also in ISDN. Since switch fabric is in PPN, switching activity drives inter-node bandwidth requirements, which in turn drives interconnect physical layer choice. Could also install new PPN at remote node, and DCS the two PBXs together, then direct remote node calls toward existing trunks via AAR; DCS interconnect enables use of existing dial plan/extensions. What about using Definity Extenders, and ISDN-BRI?

Lucent or your hardware support contractors may "loan" you a similar Definity to the one at your old site.

I'd personally save the translations etc. onto a card and restore to the new box.

When the new switch is similarly configured to your old one, move the users; then give your old PBX back to Lucent or your maintainers.

...Just an idea...

You might want to get another number range for the new site.

Some telco companies will divert calls to your old range and "map" them to the new range on the new circuit.

Remember that if in the UK, the telco cannot retain ownership of the number range, so in the long term you should be able to xfer it.

Does anyone have an easy solution to providing off premise stations to two users. Is the definity extender the best solution? I have G3R version 4

In response to -

>>John45 (Visitor) Feb 22, 2001
>>Does anyone have an easy solution to providing off >>premise stations to two users. Is the definity extender >>the best solution? I have G3R version 4

Possibilities -

(1) Definity Extenders - Cons - Costs - TTI port to Extender to Analogue or BRI to Extender far end to 8410D or other digi. sta. U also get multiple call appearances and no loss of those sexy features.
(2) Telecommuting dial in via analogue line.
(3) Digital Hot Desking - Cons - Enterprise level (excellent!) but hence expensive - This offers lots of really cool features to add value and comp. adv. to your organisation. Not entirely apropriate for those who need to save capex, though, 'cause it costs about 25k GBP min or so we're told. My managers turned it down !!! :-(
(4) *Security!!* Use remote access and restrict with COR / COS so that the user can call forward an internal DDI sta to his or her home number (easy!) Cha remo or enable remo then cha remo
(5) X port a sta covering to Audix / Intuity with outcalling to home number - OK, not perfect but ... just an idea.
(6) Remote coverage to home num.
Hope this helps - Giles C. Voice Engnr Europe. 44 7977 25 7342.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back