Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Two Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chmilz

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
CA
Hello all...

I have an interesting situation that I would really apprecate some feedback on.

I have a company that has an additional office right next door and they want to link their two networks. I'll call them "Company A" and Company B". Here are the specs of each network:

-Company A Network-

Gateway: Windows Proxy Machine, DHCP enabled (Address Range: 192.168.0.101 - 192.168.0.150) IP: 192.168.0.100

Connectivity: HP ProCurve 4000M Switch IP: 192.168.0.10

Internet Connection: Local ADSL subscription.

Server: Windows NT Server

Number of Machines: 10 (All running Windows XP)

-Company B Network-

Gateway: Net-topia Router, DHCP enabled (Address Range: 192.168.46.100 - 192.168.46.150)

Connectivity: 2 D-Link 24 Port 10/100 Switches

Internet Connection: 2nd ADSL Subscription

Server: SCOUnix Server

Number of Machines: 15 (All running Windows XP)

Company "A" has already ran a length of CAT-5 Cable from their server room to the Server room of Company "B". The run is about 50ft.

Here is the dilemma: I can't seem to get the two networks to see one another. When I plug the CAT-5 from Co.A into the switches at Co. B I get a solid link light and activity on the network. The problem with this is that machines from Co. A are making DHCP requests to the Router from Co. B. This is not acceptable.

My solution would be to set up a VLAN on the HP Procurve switch but I have never implemented one before. I also tried plugging the CAT-5 into Co. B's router but got no link light at all. Is a cross over needed?

This is my first time working with Procurve switches. Is there something that I need to configure on the port I am using for the connection?

Any help on how to set up a VLAN or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much.

Curtis

Hello Curtis -

When you say "they want to link their two networks" I assume you mean that they want the devices on the two networks to talk together. You didn't say whether PCs on Network A should be able to access the Internet through Network B's ADSL service, whether PCs on Network B should be able to access the Internet through Network A's router, neither, or both. What level of connectivity between the two networks are you trying to achieve?

Regards,
Ralph

Ok here is a isue u want to connect the 2 subnets thats easy throw a router between the 2 subnets u will need to route them. what u can do as a simple thing u can run the whole mess over the one switch without vlans not pretty but it will work. Ok use 2 routers and u can get away with something simple like a router based PC like FreeSCO it runs on a floppy I don't think it's the cats meow but hey it a fix. One router will be for one side of the house the other on the other or just use one box and 2 nics. us need to route those subnets so they see each other but run out their own links to the net. And this litle tool does do DHCP if u need it. But in a nutshell u need to route between them to get them to talk. VLANs are better to seperate church and state as far as traffic this makes the segments completely seperate. But not needed for as small a network as u have. I run over 30 people on a 4000m on 1 of my floors and its overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back