Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Two Databases Together 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zephaerie

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Okay, here's the deal:
We have an Excel Spreadsheet that is saved on an internal server. Our group has been requested to save a back-up copy to our respective personal hard-drives, in case the server fails. Is there any way to link the two documents so that when one is saved, the other is updated?

Zeph.

I don't know about anyone else - but I'm sure you'll get to find out rather quickly but I would not recommend this course of action.

Possible solution:

Split the DB and have a front-end working on everyone's PC that needs it. Have the back-end on the server.

Then have a batch file that is auto executed every 30 minutes or so that grabs a copy of the back-end and places a copy on another PC, or PCs.

There are lots of other ways of tackling this but I would definately not use the option you have been asked to investigate. I have lost data that way.

"A wise man learns from other people's mistakes while the fool makes his own"

----------------------------
Cogito Ergo Sum [jester2]
----------------------------

Your suggestion worked perfectly. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back