Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking to other folders not in my doc_root

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPantsTm

Programmer
Jan 22, 2004
US
I'm developing a website for the company. Each group wants their own page. but they also want to be in control of their documents. so they want to have a shared folder which I (or whoever) links to.

but how do I resolve this since that folder won't be within apache's doc_root. In linux I'd make a link and that'd work just fine, done that a ton. But this is on a WinNT box. Is their something similar. I thought there was bobo.ink files that linked to sections. I've tried to make a shortcut to another directory but it says it couldn't find the page.

I've also considered just make shares in the doc_root and having them put there stuff there but that will violate their rule of duplicating work (they already put their documents in the share).

thanks in advance!

Why not just have each group have a subdirectory under the doc_root?
Otherwise, check the docs for mod_alias on the apache page and see if that will help.

Make sure that you have the SymLinks option enabled for the shared virtual path. It may come enabled under linux standard and disabled under windows.

If you do not allow symlinks it won't follow a shortcut.

Possibly :) I am not that uber up to date on the windows versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back