Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking to external table (Access 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tslinger7

Programmer
Dec 10, 2002
US
I'm writing a number of integration routines, most
have "read" Dynamic's tables (through ODBC) then assembled tables/reports and updated information in Access 2000. Now I need to create G/L batches and draw from my (linked) Access source tables. Is this best performed using Integration Manager or through establishing connections from ADO in VBA?
Most of my efforts, to date, have been using DAO in
VBA/Access.

A little experience and knowledge-share could save me
hours of trial and error.

Thanks,

Thor

Application: Dynamics 6.0
db: SQL Server 2000

Hi Thor,

I would IM, you should easily be able to integrate data using ODBC as well as performing any updates on the tables using the execute sql command in IM.

Have you thought about using tables in SQL database? you could use access to browse and perform operations and you would be sure that any SQL commands that you pass will work.

If you want to give me more detailed overview, I may be able to help you further.

Regards,

JMG

Thanks for the response and validation on using IM. I have not thought of using the tables in the SQL database. How would they be accessed by Dynamics (I presume using IM)?

One of the first tasks I'm trying to automate is to take a customer invoice, created in our proprietary Access DB, then create a Cust Invoice Batch in Dynamics. The batches will then be reviewed/approved by the A/R clerk and "posted". This is not overly complex as we have seven item numbers that aggregate everything from the original customer invoice. These items are tied to G/L accounts which have the appropriate tax values applied.

I hope that's not too convoluted, but its a brief run-through of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again,

Thor

Hi Thor,

you can read SQL tables in IM by setting up an ODBC as a data source and using a SQL statement to generate a set of records.

It should be easy to integrate invoices using IM. You can also get IM to generate a batch for them. IM will look after all the tax and distributions for you.

Regards,
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back