Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking The Tables of Same Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

alam

Programmer
Dec 7, 2000
US
Tool: SCR - 7.0
OP-SYS: Windows 98
Database: Oracle 8i

hi,
I am developing SCR on a Oracle 8i database tables.I have two tables in which i dont have any database link as such say ( Table A and Table B ).Now i have a primary key called as JOB-ID in TABLE A.and i have a column called as Manufacturersku in TABLE B.
Actually one of the person after authorising TABLE A contents will actually map the data to TABLE B.During this process the person actually maps column (JOB_ID in TABLE A ) to the column (Manufacturersku in TABLE B).
NOTE:- At this point i have data from TABLE A mapped to TABLE B and JOB_ID in TABLE A moves down to Manufacturersku in TABLE B.IN table B i have now Manufacturersku which actually contains data from TABLE A as well as TABLE B.
I would like to make a report which gives me the records which JOB_ID matches to Manufacturersku in Table B.
So i had gone to make a Visual Link in crystal b/w those two columns but it states that Link may not work properly though it creates it..,At refreshing time it gives me error saying " ORA - 01722 " , "Error Detected by Database DLL."In what way i can create the table linking which might solve the problem.I dont wanna go by creating SubReport for it as the size of tables is too large and might end up with long compilation time.
If i can create a link by Formula.., i will be grateful to have idea of that formula..,So pls help me...
Thanks in Advance.

Insure that the fields are the same data type, and size. this can make the "ORA" error pop up.

Are you using the CR ODBC driver for Oracle? If not use it.

I can think of a lot of ways to fix this. if I were you I would author some PL/SQL (Oracle stored procedure).

Steven Fowler, Principal
steve.fowler@fowlerconsulting.com
- Development, Training, and Consulting
wpe1.gif

Hey.., i had already found that the datatype is mismatching anyway Thanx 4 ur quick reply.The datatype in table B is Varchar and Job_iD is number and do u have any way to link and get the results.Also i have a little knowledge of PL/SQL but have read only Permission and so may not be able to do so.., is i can still use .., do u mean to say to use them in Formula Editor or somewhere else..,
Secondly,I had tried my report by 1st convertying the Varchar field to Number but have browsed to see that the TABLE B actually has some Alphabetical characters and hence giving error that it cant convert the string to number once it encounters it.., Is there a way that i can jus ignore the datatype thing and still will be able to get my comparasion work...,as i jus donna want to change conmtents of table B.If i can use PL/SQL stored procedure ...how can i implement them in Crystal...
Once again thanx 4 ur previous quick reply and waiting 4 this one..

Unfortunately your questions would take too long for me to answer in a manner that would be of use to you.

I suggest you review the white papers on SeagateSoftware.com on the use of stored procedures. Doing so will change your entire thought process on how to author reports.

Steven Fowler, Principal
steve.fowler@fowlerconsulting.com
- Development, Training, and Consulting
wpe1.gif

I am already on that way..
Thanx..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back