Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Tables from a Database on CD-ROM - It is not happening, HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaviya

MIS
Nov 17, 2000
IN
I had created an encrypted database in Access-97. This database has a utility in it to import data from large text files of ~ 60 MB in the database. Initially database is not populated.

The constraint is that large text files and CD-WRITER is on a standalone machine. On this machine Access-2000 is installed.

When I open this databse in Access-2000, I use Open Database - option insted of using Convert Databse. The reason is that I want to copy the fully populated databse on a CD-ROM and use it any where. After populating the Database, I copy it on a CD-ROM.

Now, if I open this directly open this database from CD using Access-97, It works fine and I am able to browse through tables, and run my queries. However, if I create a new database( USING Access-97) on my hard disk and try to create link tables from CD database to this new database, it does not work!. I am able to see the linked table icon in my database but when i try to open/browse the linked table it gives following error messages
1. Could not use "Databse Name"; file already in use
2. Microsoft access cannot open the table in Datasheet view.

I also tried to link these tables using DAO code, but that also does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back