Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking tables across servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev747

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
AU
Hi All.

Im a bit of newbie when it comes to this aspect of Access, so I hope this makes sense.

I have a database that is located in a groups directory on my server. However, this database will now need to be accessible to a larger number of users across the country, who are located on different servers.

When I create a back-end for the database, the linking pathway is displayed in the table properties as
DATABASE=K:\MyFolder\SubFolder\MyDatabase\MyDatabase_be.mdb;TABLE=tblMyTable

This works fine when users on the same server access the database, but if someone else on a different server maps to the drive, the link doesn't seem to work ( I think it's because of the drive letter association with the server).

Does anyone have a fix I might be able to put in place so that the linking pathway shows the server, rather than the drive letter, or is there a better way I could fix this problem?

Thank in advance for any suggestions forthcoming.

Kev.

This is a politically correct signature, due to constant whinging about my previous signature.
Long live the fun police.

assuming the server is accessible, then you can use code to delete and re-link the tables with a unc path

'delete linked table first
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, tblNme

're-link the table
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", "unc path", acTable, tblNme, tblNme

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thanks for the reply Crowley16.

Like I say, Im a bit of a dope when it come to this so I hope I don't sound stupid.

Where would I put this code? I'm assuming in the "On Open" event of of my main form. I tried this but to no avail. Below is the code I used -
Code:
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, tblEMITEquipment, tblCopier, tblFax, tblLaptop, tblPC, tblPrinter, tblScanner, tblMFD, tblMonitor, tblTelephone

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acLink, "Microsoft Access", ":\\sydab1fs16-adm\Usr\Users\EM IT Equipment_be", acTable, tblCopier, tblFax, tblLaptop, tblPC, tblPrinter, tblScanner, tblMFD, tblMonitor, tblTelephone

When I open the form I get a 'Compile Error - Variable not defined' message indicating a problem with the first table listed in the DeleteObject command.

Am I doing it all wrong?

Kev.

This is a politically correct signature, due to constant whinging about my previous signature.

Hey PHV.

Thanks for the link to that code.

Where would I put it exactly?

Kev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back