Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Secured Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaT

Programmer
May 16, 2002
US
I have a database that has some tables in it that other databases need to link to. However, these tables have information in them that needs to be secured. Once I secure the database with the tables it in, the other databases don't have the ability to access those tables. Now, when going thru the User-Level Security Wizard, on the second screen there is an option to "make this my default workgroup information file". If I choose this option those other databases can now access the tables. The only this is, is that now all of my databases, even unsecured ones, come up an ask me for a username and password on my pc, but on other users pc those unsecured ones don't asked for anything. I guess I'm kind of skeptical about choosing this option in the User-Level Security Wizard, because I'm not sure how it is working. Has anyone had more experience with it?

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

The default workgroup information file is stored locally and that may be why. This may be something obvious and you have probally looked at that option, but with the info given, thats all that comes to mind.

"The only this is, is that now all of my databases, even unsecured ones, come up an ask me for a username and password on my pc, but on other users pc those unsecured ones don't asked for anything."

I have my database security setup this way, and I prefer it because I can tailor the security level per user. The only drawback, as you noticed, is that even on totally unrelated database projects (even brand new ones) you will be asked to logon every time you start Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back