Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking problems - remote users

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCCC

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I'm writing reports referring to a SQL database. But for my remote users, I have to convert the data source to be a .dbf file. I have done this and changed the location to their local hard drives.

There are four linked tables I have to "re-locate," and I have done that. When I finish doing that, I get an error:

Warning: Fields in the report from the file "CONTACTHISTORY" cannot be linked.

When I use the Visual Linking Expert, the links look as they should. When I transfer the report to the user's machine, I do not get an error message, but no data shows up.

I realize this is more of a connectivity problem than CR, but if anyone's had a problem like this I welcome your input.

Thanks,

Write the report(s) based on the .dbf's, not the SQL Server tables. I suggest using an ODBC connection rather than the direct table access. Direct connection linking may complain directly if there aren't indexes.

Now if you use the same Path in the ODBC connection, there shouldn't be a problem.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Hey,

Yes, this is going to save me some trouble. Unfortunately the data on my local drive is old sample data, so I can write the report to give actual good data when I print it, or to give good data when my reps print it. Bummer.

Anyway, thanks for jumping in. Have a good weekend all!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back