Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Oracle Forms6/Repor6i with MS SQL Server 7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

devdba

Programmer
Dec 11, 2002
GB

I am sure some one must have connected Oracle Developer with MS SQL Server 7\2000.

Can you guide me through the steps invovled in it.

I need to do that urgently, all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Hi,
Solution to your requirement is well documented in Form6i Help.
I am just referring here to what has been explained in the Help.

HTH
Regards
Himanshu

To access Microsoft SQL Server:

1 Set up your system to use the Open Client Adapter (OCA).

To set up your system to use the OCA:

A) Install the necessary database server and client software, including network libraries. Configure your database, create database accounts, grant the appropriate access privileges to the users. Note that for some single-user, single-machine datasources, such as Microsoft Access, there is no notion of a database server and database client, and no special setup is required (you do, however, need to create the database file to store database tables).

b) Install the necessary ODBC drivers on your client machine and configure the datasource using the Microsoft ODBC Administrator (which is automatically installed with the drivers). ODBC drivers from Intersolv (for SQL Server, Rdb, Sybase, Informix, Ingres and many other databases) are installable from the your installation CD. You can also use drivers from Microsoft, IBM, and other ODBC driver vendors.

2 Read through the release notes and the PDF document (oca_info.pdf).

3 Run the.SQL scripts to create data dictionary views on the server side that enable the display of database object names for selection at design time. Note
UBT32.EXE user/password@ODBC:datasource[:dbname] @sqlscript Example
If dbname is not specified, the views will be created in the 'current' database for the ODBC connection.

4 Launch the Builder.

5 (Optional) Run the.SQL scripts to create and populate demo tables. Example

6 (Form Builder only) Set the Primary Key property for each data item to Yes. Data items correspond to columns in your datasource.

7 When you are ready to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server datasource, type the following connect string in the Connect dialog box:
[user[/password]]@ODBC:datasource[:dbname] Example

For more information about accessing Microsoft SQL Server, see oca_info.pdf.

Himanshu, is Forms 6i shipped with OCA? Yes, it's still in online help, but I'm about to be sure that OCA works in Forms 6, no 6i. Do you work with OCA and Forms 6?

Regards, Dima

Dima, please refer to Note:209349.1 at Metalink for all sort of clarifications in this regard.

I do not work on OCA & Form6i but my Team does.
I am not a Developer but into managing Projects.

Regards
Himanshu

Thank you, Himanshu. This note states that OCA is available with 6i, but I know (not for sure though) it is not. Could you please ask your developers about any useful link? As this one is only "partially" useful :)

Regards, Dima

Dima,
Please refer to Note:275442.995.

Regards
Himanshu

Ok, I've got it finally, thank you again. My fault was in that I supposed OCA 6.0.5 belonging to Forms 6.0, because Forms 6i is marked as 6.0.8. Get a star!

Regards, Dima

hi there,

how can one register for Metalink Membership, because i don't have CIS or access code as the metalink website requires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back