Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Notes to Master Files for Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism1

MIS
Sep 9, 2002
US

v7.6.2

Is it possible to link Notes to their respective master files in Crystal?

For example we have a serial/lot item with a note attached that we would like to include on a crystal report that has a serial/lot listing.

Thanks

Yep - subreport. Notes are held in SYNOTES_SQL. Create a subreport, and link the main report field (Item_No, Cust_No, etc.) to the name_value field in SYNOTES. You'll also need to isolate the notes to the specific module you need by adding selection criteria in your subreport - for item notes, it would be {SYNOTES_SQL.note_name} = "IM-ITEM". The notes themselves are held in separate fields - note_topic, note_1, note_2 etc.

Peter Shirley

Chris,

Is the note attached to the item, or to the Lot/Serial Master?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

My apologies, I re-read that and while it seemed to make sense when I typed it, it may not be all that clear. Let's say you had a report on the IMLSMST_SQL table. From this you show item_no and ser_lot_no. Add a subreport that looks at the SYSNOTES_SQL table. Link the subreport by linking ser_lot_no in the main report, with name_value in the subreport. Within the subreport itself, add selection criteria to only display notes for serial lot numbers e.g. {SYNOTES_SQL.note_name} = "IM-SERIAL-LOT". Also, for serial lot, it's not unusual to display serial or lot information in a subreport - of course, you can't have nested subreports in Crystal, so you would have to link from the IMLSMST_SQL table to the SYSNOTES_SQL table using the same linking, but with a 'left-outer-join'. Hope this makes sense!

Peter Shirley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back