Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking MySQL Tables to another Database for continual updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmc97

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2003
US
Hello all.

I have a Providex database that has a ODBC driver and I can import tables or queries into excel fine. The problem is I have to MANUALLY refresh the excel file DAILY so that the end of day report items are updated from the database into the excel sheet.

What I would like to do is link the necessary tables in Providex to a MySQL table and then run the queries on the MySQL table. In doing so, I would need the MySQL table to constantly refresh with the Providex database or at least make it where I could refresh it periodically throughout the day.

I know that it is possible to link tables in Access to automatically update when the source is changed, is there some of the same functionality in MySQL? I really don't have any experience with MySQL but have some experience with SQL queries from Microsoft Query and ASP webpages. Any examples or webpages that may outline the process would be great as well!

thanks.

mattmc

no, you can run a cron job to update at set intervals. You can also write VBA code behind the excel sheet to refresh itself whenever its opened

Bastien

I wish my computer would do what I want it to do,
instead of what I tell it to do...

Thanks Bastien,

What I do now is pull several different reports into excel and run MS scheduler and it updates everyday using VBA for those reports I need daily. Providex only provides a windows ODBC driver, so I can't use a cron job.

The only thing I have found in mySQL is import database, I never found a place to refresh the data. I guess I could refresh the data periodically throughout the day.

How would I refresh (reimport) the data into Windows mySQL?

thanks.

mattmc

use a scheduled task...same thing just a ms name

Bastien

I wish my computer would do what I want it to do,
instead of what I tell it to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back