Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking multiple ODBC data sources 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holst

Programmer
Oct 27, 1999
FI
Hello <br>

<br>

Why is it that it is not possibel to do linking from multiple ODBC data sources ? I have 4 Progres databases, that i want to do reporing from, and i need to link more than one field, but it seems that it is not possibel. <br>

<br>

Best regards <br>

<br>

Jan Mortensen<br>

<br>

Try Database¦Add Database, then click on Log On Server, then pick your next data source, the table(s) that your want from that datasource, then define the links to the previously table(s) in the next dialog box, and you are there.<br>
Each ODBC data source will require its own data source name to be set up in ODBC admin. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hello<br>
<br>
Thanks for your reply, but it won't work :( I get this error<br>
<br>
&quot;Seagate Crystal Reports: Link Error<br>
Invalid File Link. Not all fields in same index expression&quot;<br>
<br>
It seems that CR7 is not able to link from more that one source at the same time....8-\<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Jan Mortensen<br>
<A HREF="mailto:jan.mortensen@rautaruukki.fi">jan.mortensen@rautaruukki.fi</A>

I think it actually means you are trying to link on a field that is not indexed. Probably you have an index in one table on say SSN, HairColor, Height. In the other table, your index is SSN, Height, and you don't have HairColor indexed, or HairColor is part of another index with some other fields.<br>
I assure you that I have linked multiple sources in reports with versions of Crystal up to and including v7. When you are using local databases (such as Access, Paradox, btrieve, etc), you must have proper indexing. With client server databases (Oracle, SQL Server, etc), you should have proper indexing for performance reasons. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Look what i found at Seagate web site!!<br>
<br>
&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<br>
Linking Restriction Issues in Reports with Multiple SQL/ODBC Data Sources <br>
<br>
The information in the article refers to:<br>
Seagate Crystal Reports 7<br>
<br>
Applies to:<br>
<br>
All versions<br>
Connectivity_ODBC<br>
SQL Datasources<br>
General issues<br>
<br>
<br>
Synopsis<br>
<br>
When trying to create links in the Visual Linking Expert the following error occurs:<br>
<br>
Seagate Crystal Reports: Link Error<br>
Invalid File Link. Not all fields in same index expression.<br>
<br>
This message appears when a second link is attempted between tables from different data sources. The data sources are ODBC, natively connected or both.<br>
<br>
All datatypes and lengths match between the linked fields. Indexes exist for the fields in each table that will be involved with the link.<br>
<br>
Solution<br>
<br>
It is not possible to link on more than one field when the tables are from multiple data sources. This is a limitation of SCR.<br>
<br>
If multiple data sources are used then this restriction only applies to tables that are from different data sources. It is possible to have tables linked on more than one field if those tables are from the same data source.<br>
&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<br>
<br>
Well, hopefully it will get posibel later on, bechause if not, then i have to move on to Acuate 4.0 (!)<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
Jan Mortensen<br>

Thanks for that Jan - if you haven't already given up, have you tried joining the datasources in a stored procedure, and then pointing CR at the result? cheers, Malcolm <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back