Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking multiple hubs to a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2001
US
I have about 10-12 24 port hubs all linked via a switch. Each hub is plugged into a port on HP 4000 switch. It's my understanding that a switch will keep a dynamic table of MAC addresses for ports. Would I be correct in assuming that a switch only keeps one MAC address per port or multiple MAC's per port. I ask because since I have a hub with 24 used ports linked to one switch port does the switch just keep on updating it's MAC table endlessly and broadcast ARP requests relentlessly since a 24 different MAC addresses are being used on each switch port?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

You are wrong saying that s/w keeps only one MAC address per port. Actually it can store multiple MAC addresses per port. The limitation is the table size the sw/ supports.
Extensive broadcasts as described may be because of this.
You can very well confirm this using only 24 port hub (fully populated) connected to s/w and no other machine/device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back