Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Linksys to Netgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbl

Technical User
Jan 23, 2002
US
I cannot get the laptop on a wireless connection to get an IP or to connect to the Internet in the following scenario.

Router 1-Linksys 4-port wired router connected to cable modem. DHCP Server, 192.168.0.1

Router 2-Netgear 4-port wired/wireless router. DHCP server OFF; 192.168.0.99

All PC's on Router 1 can connect to Internet. Router 1 is linked to Router 2- (wireless) by standard cable using normal (not uplink) ports.

All wired PC's on Router 2 connect to Internet. However the laptop with a wireless connection does not get an IP (shows 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0 and GW of 255.255.255.255). The wireless link is working properly.

Other notes: if I connect the Netgear wireless router (Router 2) directly to the cable modem and turn on DHCP server, the laptop gets an IP and is able to connect to the Internet.

Summary: I can't understand why I'm not getting an IP on the laptop when both routers are linked. All wired PC's work on both routers, and wireless laptop connection is solid and receives an IP when I'm only using the wireless router directly connected to the cable modem.

Connect one end of the cable between the routers to an uplink port, or if you continue to use regular LAN ports on both ends use a cross-over cable.

I have tried that. As stated, PC's connected to the wired ports on Router 2 (the wired/wireless router) work properly.

One thing else I've noticed, on the DHCP clients table on Router 1 (the DHCP server), the laptop shows an IP assigned to it. That means the laptop is requesting an IP, an IP is assigned, but the laptop still doesn't show the IP.

If my understanding of DHCP is correct, when a client requests an IP and it is assigned, the client must acknowledge the assignment or the address won't show up in the DHCP clients table.

. You must use an uplink port on one end of the router-to-router connection.
. The IP given the router itself should be outside the DHCP scope of the first router. If the Linksys DHCP scope is the default, (100-149) you should be okay. Check that the Gateway assignment is pointing to the first router's IP.

See this guide:
I am curious if you have tried reversing the router roles: connect the Netgear with DHCP enabled to the modem, the linksys with DHCP disabled in the secondary role.

Bcastner,

You're ignoring the fact that all the PC's connected to the wired ports on router 2 get an IP and are able to connect to the Internet. Using an uplink port (which I've already tried) would not make the wireless port work on Router 2.

The IP assignments are as you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back