Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Linksys E3000 and Linksys WRT54G 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azrael293

Technical User
Feb 9, 2012
US
I have a Linksys E3000 Dual Band router and a Linksys WRT54G router that I need to wirelessly link together to expand the range of my network. The E3000 is the main router connected to my modem and is located on my first floor and can not be moved. I need to connect the WRT54G to the E3000 to allow wireless devices access as well as 1 device that needs an Ethernet port for connectivity.

What is the easiest solution for me to do this. I tried upgrading to different firmware and was having a horrible time succeeding in this process. I also have another Linksys router available that was my old setup (so 3 total routers) if another is needed to provide ethernet capability from the linking.

- Mark

I attempted to follow the steps to flash the dd-wrt firmware onto the 54G. I followed each step to a T but was unable to get it to flash properly to allow me to use the custom firmware. I'm at a loss on what to do. I also have a WRT54GL router that I looked up the info and attempted but still no luck.

I think I'm router firmware flashing incapable. haha. Are there any programs that can assist in loading the firmware? I need to get a 2nd router running so that my network strength is stronger in areas of my house that it doesnt reach well.

Thanks to RClarke for the assist on the wiki. If you or any one else has any ideas please let me know.

Wireless bridging is relatively easy to set up and cheap - last time I did it I used an D-Link reflashed with DD_WRT. It worked but not entirely satisfactorily.

I don't know your circumstances, but have you considered Ethernet over power? See This is very good, and portable. A switch can be added so that several devices can be attached, even another WAP.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

If you can't get it flashed to DD-WRT, you're not going to get anywhere. Did you get any error messages during your attempts?? Did you turn off the windows firewall before attempting flashing?? Try that.

First thing to do actually:
Did you check to see what YOUR particular version of WRT54G supports. Not all routers are supported, some routers can't handle some versions of DD-WRT. Look here for what yours can do. Pay attention to the version of your router and the column "min required DD-WRT version" for limitations.

If all else fails - buy one pre-flashed on Ebay.

New Postgoombawaho said:
buy one pre-flashed on Ebay.
Shouldn't cost more than fiver plus delivery.

Am I out of order to say I have one going spare?

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Probably NOT out of order just to say you have one (doesn't everyone??).

Probably out of order only if you post the link to your Ebay ad. When you say "fiver", I'm guessing POUNDS not dollars because they're more than that in the U.S.

Yes, a re-flashed D-Link Wireless N router could be as little as UK£3 (plus delivery) if the Ebay auction goes your way.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back