Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking inventory master table to sales order history

Status
Not open for further replies.

awholtsIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2008
US
I want to link my inventory master to my sales history to display sales by item (sku). The issue is, I want to return all items from the inventory master, even if they have no sales. (Not have a corresponding record in the sales history table).

Once I link the two tables, all items without sales are not in the record set. I've tried various joins, even switching which table is referenced first.

Again, if my inventory master has 100 item records, I want my final sales report (by item) to show all 100 items, even if some items have no records in the sales history.

How do I accomplish this?

Appreciate your input in advance.

Thanks,

Andrew

You use an OUTER JOIN

Code:
SELECT *
FROM Master
LEFT OUTER JOIN Sales ON Master.sku = Sales.sku

You need to use a left join to accomplish this. However, you need to be careful with your where clause. If it includes columns from the RIGHT table in the LEFT join, you will effectively get an INNER join. Sound complicated?

[tt][blue]Select *
From LeftJoinTable
Left Join RightJoinTable
On LeftJoinTable.sku = RightJoinTable.sku
Where RightJoinTable.OtherColumn = 'Blue'
[/blue][/tt]

The above query would behave like it's an inner join because your where clause has a condition on the RightJoinTable. To correct this, you should move the condition to the ON clause, like this:

[tt][blue]Select *
From LeftJoinTable
Left Join RightJoinTable
On LeftJoinTable.sku = RightJoinTable.sku
And RightJoinTable.OtherColumn = 'Blue'
[/blue][/tt]

This query would return all rows from the LeftJoinTable.

Make sense?

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back