Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking/importing EXCEL charts into POWERPOINT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookiesql

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
SE
I have generated a lot of charts, which resides inside a MS EXCEL file. These charts are updated regularly and I need to present the results.
Questions:
1. Can I import these charts into my PPT file in a more automatic fashion that what I use now, i.e. select the chart in EXCEL, Copy and paste the clipboard in PPT?
2. When I do the copy and paste I get not only the chart, but also the data behind the chart - the EXCEL data, for EVERY chart I copy and paste. This means that the PPT file grows rapidly! Is it possible to import only the chart to PPT and not the data behind?
3. The ultimate solution would be that the graphs in my PPT file are created from links to the graphs in my EXCEL file, so if the EXCEL charts change, this will be visible next time I open my PPT file. Is there such a possibility?
Thanks,
Anders

Hi RookieSQL

What you want can be done simply by using a variation on Copy & Paste.

This works if your Excel graphs are embedded or are on separate chart sheets.

1. In PowerPoint prepare a new blank slide.
2. Switch to Excel.
3. Select your first chart and copy it to the Clipboard (Edit, Copy).
4. Switch back to PP.
5. Invoke Edit, Paste Special, Paste Link, Microsoft Excel Chart Object, OK. Your chart is copied into PP and is linked.
6. Repeat this for all your other charts.

Because of the links, as the Excel data changes, so the Charts in PP will update as the presentation is opened or whenever you select a chart slide and click Update Links.

Hope this helps.

Barborne
Worcester
UK

What happens to the links if I prepare a PP file on the hard disk and then I burn everything (Excel files included) on a CD ? I'm going to conserve the relative paths, that is I burn all the directories involved (and only they) keeping the original structure of the tree.
Does PP store the relative paths to the source files (perfect) ?
Or will PP look for the Excel source data on the hard disk (disaster) ? In the latter case, what can I do to make the complex PP file - Excel source files portable ?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back