Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Hubs/Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songbird

Technical User
Nov 17, 2001
US
I am trying to connect a 5th hub to 4 hubs/switches.

First is this possible or is there a rule that you can only link 4 hubs together?

Second, does including switches to the configuration help extend the possible number of hubs/switches linked together?

Third, if it is possible, do I need to do something extra to make it work? If it's not possible, what do I need to do to add the 5th hub?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hello There

I take it you're using extreme hardware... If this is the case there should be no problems...You need to differenciate between hubs and switches....With switches in the core and hubs hangin off these you're network should be easily expandable... If you're just linking five cheap hubs together u shouldn't have any problems but will probably get crap response times across them....Broadcast domains who needs them....

Give us some more information and I should be able to help.....

Page

I am linking only 2 24 port hubs & an 8 port router together, I am getting "fluttering" through my network. I have 1 cable connecting the 2 hubs together, but when I put the 2nd cable instead of just using one cable to tie the 2 hubs together the network goes crazy, and all the lights on the hubs start flashing madly, any ideas>?

You are ccreating a broadcast loop. Since the hubs are only layer 2 you creat a loop in the network.....Not good. If you want to double the bandwidth you need to route the connections. If you want to have redundancy you'll need to enable spanning tree. This will block one of the links and bring it into service if the first fails. This is only an option on more expensive hardware....if you only got cheap stuff stick to one link....

What hardware have you got?

How do u link 2 switches together in the first place, this is when they aren't stackable i mean. Isn't there a rule where 2 like devices are linked via a x-over cable and different devices linked over a straight\normal cable??

help appreciated :D

Might I suggest connecting both hubs to the switch/router. I'm assuming by '8-port router' you're refering to something like a Linksys switch/router. If you have plug each hub into the router then you'll limit yourself to two separate broadcast domains. You can't use multiple ports on a hub, nor can you do it from switch-to-switch without trunking them together. Since Extreme doesn't make hubs, nor do they make 8-port switches I'm assuming this is in the wrong forum anyway, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back