Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Foxpro to Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith64

MIS
Jun 20, 2002
US
I am trying to link a *.dbf file to an already made table in Access 2000.

However, all I can manage to do at this point is import the foxpro table from the dbf file, instead of just linking it to the one I've already created. I'd like for it to be dynamic. Isn't there a way to link particular columns of data from a dbf file into an already made table?

Can someone help? There's about 30,000 records, and I'm desperate... :) (I'm new to the Access scene...)

If I understand you correctly, what you need to do is create a link to the FP file, using the wizards. You can then use the table as if it were part of the access database (i think!).
Alternativly you could create an append query which copies the data from the fp table to the access table.

Ben ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.police.uk
----------------------------------

Ok... Here's my situation.

The data that I'm linking from Foxpro is simply customer information, customer id, names, addresses, order dates, etc...

My goal is to create a way for the user to be able to 'check yes/no' if this particular record is to receive a letter or not. I was thinking of adding another field called "Letter" into the table, with the option of yes/no, and then create a query that pulls out all the 'yes' records that are in the database, and sends it to a mail merge in word. Is there a better way of doing this? I'm definately over my head here, trying to learn in a week what usually takes a few months. :) Thanks for the help!

Does the FP data get updated ever via foxpro? If not, then now is a good time to move over the data to access.
If so, then you will have to set up a routine that imports the data each time you want to do it.
What I suggest you do is create a table in the access file with all the fields in the FP table and an extra yes/no one called Letters.
Create a link to your FP table.
Create an append query that copies each record from the FP to the access table.
You can then use this table to select yes/no.
Create a query based on the access table and set the criteria to letters=true.
use this query as the basis for your merge.

HTH

Ben ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.police.uk
----------------------------------

Great, I'm already getting a better idea of this. I have a question though...

How do I set up a routine for the update of data? Could you walk me through the basics, and then maybe I could go from there? Thanks again for all your help.

-Rob

By the way, yes, the data is constantly updated with the program in Foxpro (It's called CMS)...

-Rob

(I'm learning how to create an append query as we speak. :) )

You're going to love the Access Macro screen. Once you've linked to your FP table, created a duplicate Access table with the added field, then have your append query saved. Create a Macro (you can use the available menu and drop down lists) to run your append query when the database is opened. Simply select Run Query from the drop down, then indicate the name of the query. Save the Macro as "AutoExec" This will cause the Append query to run at start up.

Good Luck,
Rhonda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back