Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking dates from Excel to Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davetaff

MIS
Dec 18, 2015
EU
Hi all,

I am relatively new to MS Project and was hoping someone could help me. I am building a Gant Chart for my department for things we need to do before and after we receive various samples from another department. So there are about 5 different fixed dates in the project when we receive these samples but they are rough dates until we get closer to them. The other department will then tell us the exact dates. I am trying to link an Excel sheet to my project Gant chart so the other department can just edit the sell with the date and it will automatically update the chart. I have linked the dates by Paste Special, text data, and then set all the tasks before hand to start as late as possible and all the tasks after to start a early as possible. For some reason all the links took on the same date (the latest one). I then set the linked cells to Manual Schedule and they all now have the right dates as that of the spreadsheet cells they are linked to. However, the tasks before hand have, for some reason, a later date than the Manually scheduled tasks causing a conflict. Why if the successor has a fixed date would the predecessor be able to go past it? Even if I set the constraint to start as late as possible? I don't know if the issue is how I am linking the cells or the constraints I am setting. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. version 2010.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b8e43618-d69e-4b9a-9aa1-9ecb05c91170&file=MS_Project_Issue.jpg
You have created a conflict between the dependency (Finish to Start) and the linked data. Right now - your link relationships are meaningless. If Task 7 cannot begin until tasks 5 and 6 are complete - that is not what you have modeled. Why the As Late As Possible constraints on tasks 5 & 6?

As it is, you don't have enough time before task 7 (unless you move the Project start date back) to accomplish tasks 5 & 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back