Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking bcm 400 to UCX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wichie13

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
CA
Is it possible to network a bcm to the UCX ? Or would it be better to replace the BCM keep the I2000 sets and network the two new UCx's?

Thanks

I am totally new to UCx just checking it out.

W

You didn't mention the s\w release on the BCM or if the BCM is a 50\200\400 or BCM 450. If my memory serves me correct, you need the 3.7 to do the SIP Trunking. You MUST have either VoIP Trunks (keycode turns on H.323 or SIP), or SIP Trunks keycodes (SIP Trunk ONLY, NO H.323)

The SIP Trunks are set up as a peer to peer relationship. If you keep the BCM, know the support for the hardware ends next year and there is no further development on the platform. However, you can use any of the Avaya\Nortel IP sets on the UCx as well as any digital stations you may have on the BCM. This is done with the Digital Gateway Server for the UCx. The UCx will support the M7xx and T7xx series as well as the CS1K sets using the Media Gateway Controller. The UCx MUST be on the current 4.0 platform to support the CS1K sets...

Networking the two UCx systems is even easier than BCM to UCx. Takes about five minutes if that long...

I hope this helps and have a blessed day....

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

Thanks

Yes its a BCM 400 on 3.7 I believe, but from what you said I think I might get them off BCM and look at UCx to UCx. What about 4 sites on UCx networked? with one site as the main site.

Thanks

You can easily network 4 sites with UCx. In fact, we have a customer who has 7 sites networked and all the sites operate off of ONE UCx 450. We also have another customer who will have a projected 11 sites networked to a single UCx 450 by the end of the year. The site that will have 11 sites also have some Norstar systems currently, which means they can re-use their Norstar sets by networking a UCx Digital Gateway Server back to the main UCx 450.
The parameters to make the single UCx solution happen are not hard:

1. Make sure the main UCx has a Public IP address. This can be accomplished by either having a dedicated Static IP from the ISP for the UCx, OR by putting the Static IP Address of the ISP Router in the Public IP Address settings in the Norstar Settings and SIP Settings section of the UCx programming.

2. If using the Static IP Address of the ISP Router, or a network Router, you have to open Ports 7000 for the Avaya\Nortel sets, Port 5060 for the IP sets (This can be changed if Port 5060 isn't desired to be used), Port 443 for off site network access to manage the UCx if a Remote Access VPN isn't already in place, Port 5063 for Android\iPhone soft phone clients, and Ports 10000-13999 for the RTP Media Packets.

3. Set the S1 of the IP sets to be the EXTERNAL IP Address defined in Step 1 or 2.

4. if using the Digital Gateway Server (DGS), set the DGS to register to the main UCx as the Host Server.

5. IF the UCx and DGS, or IP sets are ALL on a corporate WAN, then the process is to simply set the S1 of the IP sets to the IP Address of the UCx.

This may seem like a lot, but it takes approx. 15-20 minutes to do this.

And remember, UCx DOES NOT require keycodes or licenses to do any of the trunking or networking. The licensing is based on Users and not features.

I hope this helps and have a blessed day!

Stocking Distributor for E-Metrotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back