Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking access tables in crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneelmf

MIS
Jul 12, 2001
AU
An access database uses a combo box as the lookup display control for a foreign key, to get the 'Description' field from the linked table into the main table (bound column=1, column count=2,column width=0cm,3cm etc.)

I cannot link the tables in crystal because the field in the main table has the data type (string) of the 'Description' field in the in the linked table, but returns the bound column's value (from an autonumber field) for the foreign key? If I link using the foreign key (bound column value) to the primary key (autonumber), a file link warning due to different type is returned and no data. Any suggestions?

You will need a subreport to make this "link" if the linking fields have different data types.

Are you saying that the character field in one table matches the autonumber in the other? That is possible, but poor design.

Could you link these 2 tables in an MS Access query or an SQL statement? That might uncover a better link. Ken Hamady, On-site/Phone Crystal Reports Training/Consulting
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB

I have modified the foreign key field and this is now Ok.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back