Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking a table to a dbf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmill

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2005
GB
I need to get data from my access 2000 DB to another contact management software on a regular basis. I would like to use the most simple solution. One issue is that the software can only import dbf files. I have thought a couple of ways to do this
1.export the table in dbf format but the downside is that this is another operation.
2. Link the table to a dbf file. I tried this and it seamed to work but I have a problem. Many of the fields are being cut short. The way i done it was as follows.
a/ I linked the table to an Excel file.
b/ I then changed the Excel to a dbf file I think this is when the fields were cut short.

Can anyone help?

Is there a reaon you didn't link directly to the dbf from Access?

What are some specifics on "cut short"?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I have linked directly from Access to Excel. I then converted the Excel file to DBF file. When the table updates in access this updates the dbf file. I can then import the dbf file in my other management software. The problem I have is that the contents of the field are being cut short. By this I mean only about half of the text that show be in the filds is present eg. In the DB the field content reads "110 Broadside Road" In the DBF file this now reads "110 Broadsid"

Hope this explains thing better

My question was why would you involve Excel? Aren't you trying to convert from dbf to Access?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back