Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linking a spreadsheet form to access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchetman240

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
basically I have an *outstanding* spread sheet. It fits needs precisely, demands on this specific sheet are growing daily and people want to do things with it that are difficult or impossible in excel, but easily done in access. I would like to continue to use this excel sheet as a form (since it would be nearly impossible to replicate the great detail in access forms) and put an access back end on it to make use of queries and such. Can anyone give me a rundown of how to link the excel data to a database?

Access makes this pretty easy, if your spreadsheet is well designed.

In Access, select the File menu. Then selct Get external Data, then selct Link Tables. This brings up a new dialoug box. At the bottom of the box, select file type Microsoft Excel. Then select the file, and answer the questions.

This will make it like a table in your database, but ODBC to the excel sheet. One draw back though is that if anyone has it open, it will not let you read it.

Hope this helps.

it would not be hard to replicate that spreadsheet. are you only using one spreadsheet or multiple spreadsheets that do the same function? you can duplicate the entire spreadsheet in an access form and generate the information in a report very easily. You can just use a copy & paste procedure to duplicate the spreadsheet in access. after that, all you will have to do is link the cells to the approciate fields in the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back