Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking a ipad/ipod and iphone to sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelJMills

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2014
GB
Hi All,

I have a Fidelity Vdac that is linked to my Marantz SR8002 and im trying to get the best sound streamed to it via my apple kit. I did have a 3-in-1 Lightening Camera Connection Kit For iPad 4, which was great because the USB connector out could be linked to the VDAC and produce a digital output... sounded geat! the apple updated it OS and low and behold "this periferal is not supported".

Does anyone know of a similar way i can jury rig my kit. cheers in advance.

I'm not familiar with all the gadgets you mention but I'm lost on the idea of digital output and streaming. What type of streaming was employed? If it was a lesser type of streaming, it would not matter if you were sending a DA signal from your Apple gadget. Would bluetooth work here, with no need for USB connections?

I am Streaming FLAC audio files via "stream to me" from my home PC, Which acts as the houses media streaming source (from the office), to an Xbox 360 with an optical out connection to a Marantz SR8002 (in the living room) and it used to stream to my ipad which would output via the charing port (in the kitchen) to another Marantz SR8002 amp via the Fidelity Vdac (which cleans up and enriches the input, converting digital to analogue). The 3.5-mm stereo headphone minijack output is pants compared to the Lightning conneector (also digital output).

the USB out (usb) standard-A plug, into the VDAC (usb) Standard-B plug.

You're not really streaming FLAC files. Conversion to lesser quality data is done on-the-fly. StreamToMe only serves MP3 or AAC audio data (and at limited bit rates) so you may need to temper your audio quality expectations. That is why I was suspicious of your mention of "digital output". You may have had a good pipe in the past but the stuff flowing on it was far from perfect.

So as you're already okay with imperfection, maybe bluetooth audio is not as bad as you may think.

@spamjim. it may not be the best setup known to man but when you are streaming to an apple device its probably best solution i could find... btw the VDAC make ALL the difference.

Okay. I'm just suggesting that you don't limit yourself to what Apple limits you to with their streaming specification and the hardware you need to buy.

You could get better sound by running wire from your server to your receivers and only using your iGadgets to control what the server pumps through the wire.

I never understood the joy in tethering a mobile device. You might as well buy a $150 computer to connect to your receiver instead of an iPad. Save the iPad for where it is needed most... the couch and the bathroom. [bigsmile]

I do like the look of the bluetooth adapter but i need something with a USB((b) output connector. The reason for the i pad was so i can use it like a touch screen jukebox when i have friends over (the kitchen is the heart of our home!) so the blue tooth device would be ideal... when i cant be bothered to shift my lazy drunken bones at the end of the night. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back