Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking 4900 series switches on separate subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGood

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2001
GB
We have two sites we need to link to one another

The Central Site and the Remote Site have two different subnets.

We have purchased a 100mb/sec lan extension service and will use this to link the sites.

At the main site we have a 4900 series switch and at the remote we have also have a 4900, both running 4.22 firmware.

The main site:

Subnet: 172.16.0.0 - 255.255.0.0
Gateway 172.16.254.254

The remote site:

Subnet: 172.18.0.0 - 255.255.0.0

Gateway (this is the gateway we'll use to link back to the central site)

We currently only have the default VLANs set up on both switches and nothing else.

In order to link the two sites and allow access from one network to the other (lots of servers on the central site are accessed by the remote site which currently employs a much slower link utilising routers), well what should I do.

I understand that it is setting up vlans, but do we do this just on the central switch or on both the central and the remote??

How should I set up the tagging, should the new vlan be tagged on one port??

Also IP addressing should this be set up on the new vlan and only on that.

I've read lots but not a lot of the documentation really makes much sense is there anyone out there who could give me a few ponters.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back