Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking 3 Norstar CICS together with Seamless Dialing/Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

550spydr

MIS
Jun 28, 2007
US
Hi Folks,

I have a customer with 3 remote locations. Each has a CICS and CallPilot 100. Am trying to create a back door dialing system using Auto Answer on a particular trunk (line). Regular POTS lines. Am trying to make this as seamless as possible.

First question is-can the remote CICS trunk answer and allow callers to dial an extension number? Or is it only used to access features on the system? I would like the caller to get stutter dial tone, and then be able to dial the extension number. If this is possible, then it leads to the next question!

Second question is-is it possible to add dialing pauses with routing? I am hoping to set up routing so that the caller can dial three digits, which will grab a trunk to dial out, begin dialing out, and then wait before sending dial out digits (ie-the extension number on the other end). I have figured out the routing, but not the delayed pause and subsequent dial outs. Seems like the pause and subsequent dial outs all occur before the intial dialing occurs.

Hope these questions are clear? I think that the Norstar can do this, but haven't tried it in this exact way. I can always use an auto attendant, but then the caller has to dial the extension number again. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

As I understand it, all 3 sites will have some kind of auto attendant as all the sites are using analogue trunks?.

I don't claim to be that good with Norstars, but I'm sure that the Startalk Call Pilot system could do a few features such as calling an extension that you know etc. It would be just a case of setting up the initial menu with the option enabled.

As for the pause when dialing out. The Norstar had a feature code of "78" that could be inserted into a speed dial number to provide a pause and I think this was around 4 seconds, but not certain on this?.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

CICS 7.1 can be set to answer incoming calls automatically with auto answer or DISA. When answered with DISA, a stutter tone is heard and a class of service password is required. After entering the password, a dial out digit like "9" can be entered for outgoing trunk access or a paging announcement can be made by dialing *611 or other paging access code. No extension dialing. A remote access package must be programmed to allow outside callers access to trunks for dialing out.

Check out page 59 of the installer guide:

There's more information in the system coordinator's guide. Check page 230:

Thanks for the responses! Would like to avoid the CallPilot AA scenario, if possible. Always a backup, as it is specifically designed to work as an AA, but I am trying to make it seamless. bcmfiftyfan, do you know if the auto answer feature (without DISA) allows for dialing of an extension number? I can get it to answer, but it won't let the call go through. Am I missing something? Also, I inserted pauses in the routing dial out, but the pauses occur before the call is initiated. I need the pauses to occur after the routing has been made, call goes out, and then delivers the pauses and subsequent digits. Thinking this might be a limitation with routing, but wanted to pick your brains!

Ok your first post states you want to use AA but not anymore correct?

You wont get seamless especially with DISA which will take much longer then using AA and/or System Speed Dials.
DISA also requires a separate line that is not part of a rollover.

Speed Dial with AA method:
Press Speed Dial
Enter slot number
-Programming XXX-XXXX-PP-22X (where AA answers and 2XX is a DN)

Speed Dial with DISA method:
Press Speed Dial
Enter slot number
-Programming XXX-XXXX-PP-1234-P-22X (where DISA answers, 1234 is the password, wait for dial tone, 2XX is a DN)

Speed Dial with AA method works best.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

The only features allowed with auto answer without a DISA password are selecting an outgoing trunk and paging. No extension dialing. You must use the auto attendant for extension dialing. At least this is the way the CICS 7.1 in my test lab performs. There's no extension dialing with a DISA password on my test system either. Just selecting an outgoing line and paging. The manual explains it.

Forgot to mention the CICS has a Custom Call Routing feature that answers calls and you can dial extensions from. Check page 82 of the system coordinator's guide.

Thanks folks! I am familiar with all of those options. Will most likely use Auto Attendant from each CallPilot with dedicated line. Wanted to use routing with pauses and subsequent extension digits, but Speed Dial list might work. Especially if I can make the slot number identical to the extension on the other end. I have different numbering schemes at each (100, 200, 300 series), so just might work! Not sure how many slots are available on 7.1 software though. Thanks Again!

On the DISA I think you create a Target Line and use the DN as the Target no?
Still cumbersome I guess either way.

001 to 255 for Speed Dial slots, not pretty enough.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I've tied 2 MICS's together using DTI's with a crossover T1 cable and target lines as curlycord suggested. I haven't tried with analog trunks using DISA, but it should work. You'll have quite a bit of programming to do. Be sure to document your programming and backup all the systems.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back