Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking 2 CICS via VoIP or similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamTheBoy

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2005
GB
OK, here's the setup...

2 sites, each has a Compact Plus (CICS) with some analogue lines. The sites are linked by a high bandwidth (40Mb/s) IP link. Lets assume for now that neither site has Internet (not strictly true).

Currently, and calls between the sites are dialled out via BT, thus incurring charges.

Is there a way to add some kind of analogue to VoIP adapters, such as Cisco ATA186 or Linksys PAP2, to allow voice communication over the IP link? Or an other ideas?

i believe as long as u deliver it as a analog trunk it will work..Issue may be with disconnect supervision

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

But how, don't the VoIP adapters need to register with a SIP server somewhere?

Anything possible using extn 237 (I-ATA), if can't find a suitable way with analogue lines?

Ideally, line to just be able to dial an extn, and have this appear as a new line on the other system, and vice versa...

i am saying that if you can breakout a analog line, the switch can see it as a analog trunk No voip for switch itself.If you supply DT to switch u need a trunk to terminate it to. Or the old way was data PTP t1 with csu with a opx option used.But thats been awhile and not really remebering how we did it

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

Yes, I can see what you are getting at, and I use VoIP adapters on yet another Norstar (as a pure VoIP line). But in this case, the VoIP adapters won't provide dialtone, as there is no internet connection, thus adapters cannot register with a SIP service?

I did exactly this for a time between three sites using surplus (read eBay) Ericsson Webcom Webswitch 100 P4 and G4 boxes (FXO and FXS flavours). Each gave 4 ports, either to line card or as extensions on an ATA. Two systems were Norstar, one an InterTel.

The WebSwitch boxes did not need any external server or gateway, as long as each site had a fixed IP addr. Performance was fair, because we used our regular internet access (mix of DSL and fractional T1), but very usable when employees weren't all surfing.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back