Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked universes

Status
Not open for further replies.

yochai71

Programmer
Oct 1, 2003
IL
Hi Forum-friends,

1.Did somebody encounter any trouble working with linked universes? (liability of data, etc.)
2.BO doesn't support linking an universe to an already linked universe. The way to solve this problem, i link first one universe to different universe and then i link a third universe to the first one. BO allows such way of linking universes. My question now is : 1.did somebody use this trick before and 2. knows if there is any problem working with BO in such a way.

Thanks in advance,
Yochai

Not the answer you're looking for but:

In the 8 years I've been working with this software, I have never used linked universes. They are not worth the effort. They sound great in theory, but they cause lots of problems. Objects do not stay in order; LOVs sometimees have problems; Contexts need to be redefined.

Just my opinion.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

I'm using linked universes. I have a master with all my dimension and fact tables. The subject area universes are linked to the master. Table joins are in the subject area universes. Also class folders and objects not related to the subject area should be hidden. This works, but maintenance can become more work if you have 3 or more universes.

So, your Master is a superset and you use subject areas to create smaller universes? Am I understanding this correctly.

Interesting use of Links if that's it.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Sorry to jump in here, but I have a question related to the topic of linked universes.

I have a simple universe with 3 joined tables. When I use this universe, BO generates SQL with the proper joins and one result set.

If I link this universe and create the identical report, BO generates 3 separate SQL statements resulting in 3 independent result sets.

Any idea why it would disregard joins in a linked universe?

Thanks.

Willy

Hello wvancrey

did yoy make a join between the orginal univers and the link univers??. you mast join at least one table . if you dident make it, you will get cartizrn query

Yochai

Yochai,

Thanks for the reply. I did make a join, but did not include the join in any contexts. I discovered the problem after the post. It seems to be working OK now.

Willy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back