Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked tbls using ODBC and passwrd issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprite

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
US
Ok, I have several Access dbs with linked tables in them from a teradata db using an ODBC driver. My problem is that whenever my password for teradata expires, I have to go into every Access db and re-link the tbls with my new password. I checked "remember password" when I originally linked the tbls because for every linked teradata tbl, you get a sign-on for each one otherwise. If there are 4 tbls from different teradata dbs, then youre prompted 4 times for user id and psswrd. Oh, and one other thing, there are multiple users of these Access dbs.
So, Is there a way to either:
1. Create one location, maybe in an Access db where I would go to update my teradata password, then be linked to all the Access dbs. Then, when it was time for the Access dbs to run the appropriate queries with those linked tbls in it, the tbl or query would refer to my password in my password db.
OR
2. The other users would just have one sign on in the Access db and that info would be stored within the db, so that when it was time for the query to run against those linked tbls, it would refer to the stored user id and passwrd of that user.
Hope I explained myself clearly. Anyone's help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sprite

You can relink tables with code. In doing so, you can have the relink code for each database get the password from a central Access database.

Here's a good place to start.

This example just happens to use a table for the connect parameters which should fit your needs to a tee.

Hi MoLaker,

Don't need this at the mo, but it's an excellent pointer for the future. Have a star.

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience. darrylles@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back