Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked table workgroup information file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurryGorilla

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
GB
I have a front end to an Access 2002 database which contains forms, reports, queries and linked tables to a second database. I've created a workgroup information file using the security wizard for the first database so only specific users can modify the database objects. Every user can add, edit and delete data in any tables that are present. I've then created a second workgroup information file, using the same PIDs and user names as the first workgroup information file for the dataabse that ahs the actual tables. Unfortunately when I try to open them from the first database I get the 'not authorised to do this, contact your administrator' message.

Is there a specific way that this should be done or can I use the same workgroup information file for both databases?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Chris,

Use the same workgroup file for both the front end and the back end. Then your users are already validated when they reach out for the data.

Check out the MS Access Security FAQ. It's on their site and I've got a copy on my wesite, listed below.

Jeremy ==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Thanks Jeremy

I've had time to read through the FAQ you pointed me to and I understand a lot more about it now.

I have no idea what was causing the problem but after a great deal of messing about I finally managed to get it to work (which is annoying!). Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back