Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked Table Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2004
GB
Hi all.

When a Table is linked between two databases is the link established via the Drive mapping on the PC or is it mapped via its network path?

and

On Access 97 is they anyway of editing the link location/destination properties?

Thanks in advance

Regards
John

Drive mapping on the PC.

I'm not sure about your second question.

Hope it helps,

Alex

A wise man once said
"The only thing normal about database guys is their tables".

John,

In answer to your first question it depends how you map the table. It can be done either way. If you browse for the backend via the mapped drive, that's how the path will be stored in the table's Connect property. If you browse via My Network Places the table will be linked with the full UNC path to the backend. Mapped drives have a performance advantage, I believe.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but I am fairly confident the answer lies somewhere in Access's Linked Table Manager (Tools > Database Utilities > Linked Table Manager).

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back