Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked table mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotttom

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
I'm having a bizzare issue with linked tables.

Several tables are disappearing from the database window after I close Access. After restarting these tables do not show up in the database window but in the Linked Table Manager they are there. If I relink them, all is fine until I close the application and restart it then they go away again.

I'm pretty much stumped with this, and all combinations of deleting and restarting and relinking yield the same results.

Does anybody have any clues?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It would help if we knew:
* what version of Access,
* is Access up-to-date with Service Packs,
* what kind of DB the linked tables are in (another Access DB or SQL Server or ??),
* is the linked DB local or on a network,
* have you tried Compact and Repair,
* etc?

My best guess is a corrupt database. This is fairly common with Access, especially if you have 'Name AutoCorrect' enabled.

I can think of at least one workaround, but it sounds like you need a cure, not a band-aid.

Let us know...

Try clicking off the tables tab to another (i.e. reports tab) and then back again. I had this problem in Acc 2k & 2k2, but not in 2k7.
Haven't used 2003.

Cogito eggo sum – I think, therefore I am a waffle.

How are ya scotttom . . .

just a guess ... after the db is closed, by chance is there an yourdbname[blue].ldb[/blue] file in the same folder as the db? If so delete it!

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back