Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linked SQL tables records are not updateable

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeman74

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
All tables are linked from a Microsoft SQL 2000 server with SP3a. I have isolated the problem to a Column on the SQL server that is a Bit data type. If I change the data type or remove the column the table will update properly. When it is set to a bit data type the record can be created in access but not updated or deleted. It is updatable in enterprise manager on the SQL server however. Does anyone know the fix to this problem. I know I can workaround it by changing the datatype, but bit is the best fit for what I am trying to do, and I would like to leave it that way. I also have 4-5 more tables that have columns with the data type of bit and do not have any trouble with these. Any help would be greatly appricated.

I found the bit data type in sql server to be a problem using linked ODBC tables. The bit data type worked fine using an Access ADP which uses an OLE-DB connection. If you must use an MDB then see if the DBA will change the data type to something like a tinyint. I suppose another option is to look around for an ODBC driver that will map the bit data types correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back